Saturday, February 4, 2012

Magic Straight Perm (18 June)

One of the most important things I learned about on the first day of the EPIK orientation I attended in late October 2010 is that Korean hair salons offer a Magic Straight perm to straighten your hair.  Having naturally frizzy hair – especially in humid weather – I’m determined to have this perm done to my hair in preparation for the humid summer days that are slowly encroaching. 

Although you can have this perm done at any salon, I’m a bit hesitant to do it alone as my only other experience with a hair salon in Korea was not overwhelmingly positive.  I’ve also heard that this particular perm is not good for western hair but just as many people have had positive reviews of the same perm.  Fortunately, M comes to the rescue: One of her brothers has very curly hair and he has it straightened at a small hair salon in her hometown.  She offers to take me there today.

I meet her at 10:00am at E-mart and we head to her hometown of Janghang in Chungcheonbuk Province which is the province just above mine; it’s approximately 30 minutes by car.  The hair salon, Hair DJ,  is on the main road of the little town and fortunately he’s not too busy when we arrive.  I’m soon settled in a chair and having my hair trimmed before we start the perm process, which takes nearly four hours.  Beside me, a little boy of about three years of age is also having his hair permed except that his perm is curly.

Let's Get Things Straight 

The process is lengthy and with hair as thick as mine, it takes two people to flat iron it.  First, a solution is put on my hair and left for approximately 45 minutes to be absorbed by my hair.  Next, the solution is rinsed off and my hair is combed out before the hairdresser and his assistant begin flat ironing it, which takes nearly two hours to do.  Once it is all flat-ironed and straight, more solution is rubbed into my hair and left to set.  This is then rinsed out after another 45 minutes after which I ask the hairdresser to style my hair in layers.  I’m amazed by the end result of hair that is pin-straight – a first for me!


It’s after 14:00 by the time we leave the salon where the perm and haircut has cost me only 60,000 won (roughly US$60), which is a bargain considering I’ve heard that salons in Seoul charge up to 200,000 won for the same perm.  Since it’s after lunchtime, we head straight to the restaurant next door for a filling lunch of mandu (dumplings) – my favourite – and pork cutlets.  From there, we head to M’s house where I meet her mother and we rest for an hour or so before heading back to Gunsan to watch The Lincoln Lawyer at CGV.  I’m like a child with a new toy as I keep admiring my straight hair every step of the way.  I can’t wait to see the reaction of my students and colleagues on Monday morning.
The process is lengthy and with hair as thick as mine, it takes two people to flat iron it.  First, a solution is put on my hair and left for approximately 45 minutes to be absorbed by my hair.  Next, the solution is rinsed off and my hair is combed out before the hairdresser and his assistant begin flat ironing it, which takes nearly two hours to do.  Once it is all flat-ironed and straight, more solution is rubbed into my hair and left to set.  This is then rinsed out after another 45 minutes after which I ask the hairdresser to style my hair in layers.  I’m amazed by the end result of hair that is pin-straight – a first for me!

It’s after 14:00 by the time we leave the salon where the perm and haircut has cost me only 60,000 won (roughly US$60), which is a bargain considering I’ve heard that salons in Seoul charge up to 200,000 won for the same perm.  Since it’s after lunchtime, we head straight to the restaurant next door for a filling lunch of mandu (dumplings) – my favourite – and pork cutlets.  From there, we head to M’s house where I meet her mother and we rest for an hour or so before heading back to Gunsan to watch The Lincoln Lawyer at CGV.  I’m like a child with a new toy as I keep admiring my straight hair every step of the way.  I can’t wait to see the reaction of my students and colleagues on Monday morning.

3 comments:

  1. hi! How did the perm turn out? Did it last for long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    The perm turned out great! My hair is very curly and goes really frizzy in humid weather. I didn't have to worry about it at all after the perm! I could wash my hair and let it dry naturally and it would still be pin straight every time. It was also in excellent condition after the perm; my hair is still soft and silky from it and it's been over a year now. You have to grow out the perm although after about 3 months, my hair looked naturally straight rather than pin straight. I haven't had enought time to have the perm re-done this year but it's only the new growth that's not as straight now. The perm lasts 4 - 6 months on average and then you have to get it touched up. I would definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sarah,
    Thanks for sharing your experience with magic perm. I would also like to do it with my hair and Hair DJ sounds like the place to go. Can you please tell me more or less how to get there?

    ReplyDelete